London Transport
Central Area Routes 204–209


Last updated 29-01-10.

Route 204 was introduced in 1951 and ran daily between Uxbridge Station and Hayes Station via Hillingdon Road, Kingston Lane, Colham Green Lane and Botwell Lane. In 1955 it was extended during Monday to Friday rush hours and on Sundays from Uxbridge to Ruislip Station via Ickenham. In 1961 the journeys to Ruislip were reduced to just a few morning journeys. In 1963 it was withdrawn between Uxbridge and Ruislip but extended instead on Mondays to Fridays from Uxbridge to West Drayton Station via Cowley and Yiewsley, and further extended during rush hours to London Airport Central via Sipson Road. The Saturday service was renumbered 204A. In 1966 the 204A was withdrawn and the 204 re-introduced on this day. In 1970 it was extended on Sundays from Hayes Station to Hayes (Bourne Avenue). In 1971 it was converted to one-man operation and withdrawn between Uxbridge and Heathrow Airport. In 1979 it was extended from Hayes Station to Bourne Avenue on Mondays to Saturdays. In 1989 the 204 was renumbered U4.

Today’s route 204 runs between Edgware and Sudbury Town via Burnt Oak, Grahame Park, Colindale, Kingsbury and Wembley.

204 MON.-FRI. RUSH HOURS
This “E” plate would have come from the section of route between West Drayton Station and London Airport during the years 1963 to 1970.
204 MON-FRI W DRAYTON HEATHROW AIRPORT
This plate would probably have come from the bus stop in Uxbridge bus station where buses would have run through in both directions, but served different stops. It is an astonishingly rare plate and of particular interest having two destinations.
204 SUNDAY
The 204 is not an easy route to find on “E” plates, and being a red Sunday plate is of particular interest. This one likely came from the 1970 Hayes extension.

205 SUNDAY
Both of these “E” plates are from the original route 205 in Essex.
205 SUNDAY - 205A SUNDAY
The 205 and 205A ran together for a space of about four miles, but this split “E” plate likely came from Waltham Cross Station.
October 1988 bus stop notice
Bus stop notice for the Sunday shopping journeys to Wembley Arena. This service was subsidised by the Borough of Brent.

Route 205 ran daily between Chingford (Royal Forest Hotel) and Hammond Street via Sewardstone Road, Waltham Abbey, Waltham Cross, Cheshunt and Flamstead End. It was numbered in the 2×× series because this rural route was single-deck. It received RT double-deckers in 1953. It was withdrawn between Flamstead End and Hammond Street on Sundays in 1961, and the Monday to Saturday service was withdrawn completely in 1963, being replaced on those days by the 279. In September 1968 it was withdrawn in Chingford between the station and Royal Forest Hotel, and in November of the same year was diverted at Waltham Abbey to run to Upshire, being replaced to Chingford by the 242. The route was finally withdrawn in 1976, having run on Sundays-only for the last 13 years of its life, always using RTs.

The 205 returned in 1984 as a “Y”-shaped route providing a Monday to Saturday shopping service between Willesden Garage and St. Raphael’s Estate via Church Road, Craven Park, Harlesden (Jubilee Clock), Acton Lane, Park Royal (Asda), Acton Lane, Craven Park, Brentfield Road and Brent Park (Tesco). In 1985 service was withdrawn from the Willesden Garage leg. In 1986 Sunday special journeys were introduced between Park Royal and Wembley Arena via St. Raphael’s Estate, Drury Way and Great Central Way, but they were withdrawn the following year. The entire route was withdrawn in 1996.

In 2002 the number 205 was reused for a new route between Paddington (Eastbourne Terrace) and Whitechapel Station via Marylebone, Euston, Kings Cross, Angel, Moorgate, Liverpool Street and Aldgate. In 2007 it was extended from Whitechapel to Mile End Station, and a 30-minute headway night service was introduced. In 2009 the 205 was extended from Mile End to Bow Garage.

route 205 & 205A map
Routes 205 and 205A in 1970.
Adapted from The Greater London Bus Map.
1938 timetable for routes 205 & 205A
Bus stop timetable panel for routes 205 to Chingford (Royal Forest Hotel) and 205 & 205A to Waltham Cross, dated 31/8/1938. The routes ran from Potter’s Bar LT Garage. The reverse shows times etc. in the opposite direction.
1968 timetable for routes 205 & 205A
A single-sided panel dated 28th July 1968, listing Sunday and Bank Holiday only services between Chingford (Royal Forest Hotel) and Flamstead End (Jolly Bricklayers) via Waltham Abbey and Cheshunt. The 205A covered a similar route, but from Epping Forest (Wake Arms) to Hammond Street.

Route 205A began running in October 1961 as a Sunday-only route between Epping Forest (Wake Arms) and Hammond Street (Rising Sun) via Waltham Abbey, Waltham Cross, Cheshunt and Flamstead End, replacing the 205 between Hammond Street and Flamstead End and route 242 between Waltham Cross and Epping Forest. In 1974 the Hammond Street terminal was altered to Smiths Lane. In May 1975 service was extended from Epping Forest to Loughton Garage at run all times, instead of just garage journeys, and six weeks later the route was diverted between Epping Forest and Waltham Abbey to run via Ninefields Estate. In April 1976 the route was withdrawn, replaced by the 217A and 279. Operated by RTs for all 15 years of its life, the 205A ran firstly from Enfield Garage [E], and from 1971 Loughton Garage [L].

205A SUNDAY
This “E” plate is in fair condition for its age, although the number is a bit faded—almost to brown!
205A SUNDAY
This “E” plate dates from the early 1970s when the route ran between Epping Forest (Wake Arms) and Hammond Street via Waltham Abbey, Waltham Cross and Cheshunt.

206 WHIPPS CROSS GRANGE FARM
◀ This is an astonishingly rare plate, and was probably one of the last “E” plates to be produced. My guess is that it came from Walthamstow Central Station.
Front and back of a 1½d Bell Punch ticket for route 206. ▶
route 206 ticketroute 206 ticket

Route 206 was introduced in January 1981, running daily between Walthamstow Central Station and Chigwell (Grange Farm) via Leyton (Bakers Arms), Whipps Cross, Leytonstone Station, Green Man, Wanstead, Snaresbrook, Hermon Hill, South Woodford Station, Woodford Bridge, Claybury Hospital and Chigwell Station. In 1982 it was rerouted between Whipps Cross and Leytonstone Station via James Lane and Fairlop Road. Later that year the route was reallocated from Leyton [LB] to Loughton Garage [T], and garage journeys were introduced beyond Chigwell to Loughton. In November 1982 one journey in each peak on Mondays to Fridays was diverted via Debden Estate and extended from Loughton Garage to Loughton Station. In 1984 and 1985 it was extended on Summer Sundays from Chigwell to St. Margarets Hospital via Abridge and Theydon Bois. In 1985 the 206 was rerouted between Wanstead and South Woodford via Woodford High Road instead of Hermon Hill. In 1986 it was withdrawn between Chigwell Station and Loughton, and the route was transferred to Eastern National. The route was withdrawn in 1989.


Route 207 was introduced in November 1960 as part of Stage 8 of the Trolleybus Replacement Program. It replaced route 607, running between Uxbridge (Fray River turnaround, near to the Uxbridge High Street railway station) and Shepherd’s Bush Green via Hillingdon Hill, Hayes End, Southall, Hanwell, West Ealing, Ealing, Acton and Acton Vale. In 1966 it was shortened approximately one-quarter mile when the Uxbridge terminal was changed to Uxbridge Station. In 2001 six AV class 18m articulated Volvo buses were operated between Hayes By-Pass and Shepherds Bush Green for a six-month experiment. In 2005 the route was withdrawn between Hayes By-Pass and Uxbridge, and was converted to “bendy-buses” at the same time. In 2008 the 207 was extended from Shepherds Bush to White City Bus Station via a new link road.

1985 route 207   1985 route 207
Poster and leaflet advertising the new articulated buses for the 207, both dating from April 2005.
207
207 UXBRIDGE
This plate probably came from Shepherd’s Bush Green, where there were many destinated “E” plates.

208 MON.-SAT.

Route 208 was introduced in 1971 and ran on Mondays to Saturdays between Hanwell Broadway and Hayes Station via Southall, Uxbridge Road, Coldharbour Lane and Hayes Town. In 1972 it was extended from Hayes Station to Hayes (Bourne Avenue). The route was withdrawn in 1979 and replaced by an extension of route 204. It was operated by SMS single-deck buses out of Hanwell Garage [HL].

A previous route 208 ran between Clapton Pond and Bow, but this was a daily service. The current route 208 was introduced in 1982, and initally ran between Surrey Docks and Orpington via Lewisham, Catford, Downham, Bromley, Bromley Common, Southborough and Petts Wood, but this route was introduced after the use of “E” plates had ceased.

This informational leaflet was distributed for the introduction of route 208 in 1971.

1971 route 208 leaflet
← →
Click on any of the tiles below to go to images of the “E” plates and the route descriptions for that number series.
Clicking on any stop flag will return to the home page.
Stops
“E” Plates
Stops
Stop Flags
Maps
Maps

Stamps

Advanced Search
Advanced Search
Sources
Sources
Bibliography
Bibliography
Links
Links