London Transport
Country Area Routes 424–429

South of the Thames

Last updated 18-2-10.

424
This is one of the very early post-war “E” plates without the black line at the top and bottom. These plates were fitted into the older flat bus stop flags which also had horizontal cross bars and thus the top and bottom edges were hidden. However, they required a great deal of dismantling to change and hence the modern style was devised with the black top and bottom edging and which could simply be dropped into the runners. Note also that the numerals are also in an unusual, slightly condensed style.
424
424 REIGATE STATION
XF1
Experimental Fleetline XF1 [CUV51C] en route to Reigate Station.

Route 424 ran daily between East Grinstead (Stone Quarry Estate) and Reigate Station via Felbridge, Crawley Down, Copthorne, Smallfield, Horley, Hookwood, Sidlow and Woodhatch. Some journeys ran via Snow Hill instead of Crawley Down, and most journeys also ran via Irons Bottom. For many years the route was the preserve of the XF class Daimler Fleetlines.


Route 425 ran daily between Guildford and Dorking via Shalford, Chilworth, Albury, Shere Gomshall, Abinger Hammer, Wotton and Westcott. This was another picturesque route running through Surrey villages.

1933 timetable for routes 425 - 433 - 435
◀ This timetable leaflet for routes 425 DORKING SHERE & GUILDFORD, 433 DORKING NORTH & LEITH HILL and 435 LEATHERHED & TADWORTH was issued by London Transport to commence 13th December, 1933, but still carried the GENERAL name. This six-page booklet is approximately 6" × 3" in size when folded closed, opening out to approximately 6" × 9". On the rear is a List of Daily Green Line Coach Routes, and the print code is 33–3675–1000. 425
425
425 FARE STAGE
425 GUILDFORD

426
426 TINSLEY GREEN HORLEY

Route 426 was a relatively infrequent circular service from Crawley running via Tinsley Green, Three Bridges, Horley, Povey Cross, Charlwood, Ifield and West Green back to Crawley. Over the years the route hardly changed at all, so these plates are exceptionally old which accounts for the weathering.

At Crawley Bus Station buses would run in both directions, so the destinated plate was for the stop for buses running anticlockwise.


Route 426A was a local service in Crawley and ran daily between Ifield Station and Pound Hill via Ifield Parade, West Green, Crawley town centre and Three Bridges.

426A
426A
This “E” plate was poorly (but likely officially) changed from 426 to 426A. This was occasionally done when a plate was needed in a hurry.
426A WEST GREEN DRIVE (CRAWLEY HOSPITAL) IFIELD
This plate may have come from Crawley bus station. It is a rare instance of the use of parentheses on an “E” plate. Also unusual is the use of two different sizes of lettering for the destinations.

427 FARE STAGE

Route 427 ran between Woking Station and Addlestone via Maybury Inn, Pyrford, West Byfleet, Byfleet and New Haw.


Route 428 was a long-establisged route that ran between East Grinstead (Bus Station) and Dormansland (Plough) via Baldwins Hill, Felcourt and Lingfield. In the ’70s it was often worked by XA and XF class double-deckers.

428
← →
Click on any of the tiles below to go to images of the “E” plates and the route descriptions for that number series.
Clicking on any stop flag will return to the home page.
Stops
“E” Plates
Stops
Stop Flags
Maps
Maps

Stamps

Advanced Search
Advanced Search
Sources
Sources
Bibliography
Bibliography
Links
Links