London Transport
Underground Maps 1938-1945

Last updated 23 July 2010


All designs © Transport for London.
This series used a more “artistic” design for the Underground maps. It was only used for the War years, and the all-red cover of the NUMBER 2 1938 map is unlike any other design. The inside diagram is also most unusual, and shows plans for extensions to the Northern, Central and Bakerloo lines. Some of these were in fact never completed, such as the Northern branches to Alexander Palace and Bushey Heath, and to Denham on the Central. Also, for some strange reason, the GWR/LMS West London line from Addison Road (now Kensington–Olympia) to Willeseden Junction is shown. (This route eventually became a legitimate addition to the Underground map in 2008 as part of the Overground network.)
The reverse now had two street maps of central London: Piccadilly Circus–Strand and Holborn–Liverpool Street, although they were spread over two panels with a confusing white space in between.

NUMBER 2 1938

1/7/1938

inside…

front…

For 1939 the only changes made were a revision to the cover, lightening it with the addition of more white, and a reversal of the folder’s “handing”.

Number 1 1939

1/1/1939.2036.G.

inside…

front…

In this edition the central London enlargement was cut in half (eliminating the Strand and Holborn areas), replacing it with a list of the proposed and under-construction Underground extensions.

Number 2 1939

1/4/1939.2036.G.

inside…

front…

The white circles didn’t add anything to the cover design. Perhaps radiusing the corners would have been an improvement, as was finally done in 1941.

Number 3 1939

none

inside…

front…


Number 1 1940
none

As a war-time austerity measure, the Underground diagram was reduced to a monochrome drawing. Two colour printing was used, however, with the page border, the River Thames and the main-line railway termini in blue ink. The Northern and Central line extensions are still shown, although no mention is made of them on the back, which reverted to the 1939 street maps.

Number 2 1940

none

inside…

front…


Number 1 1941

none

inside…

front…


Number 2 1941
741.2780G.300M

front

After an absence of over a year (the 300,000 copies printed in March 1943 couldn’t have lasted that long), the Underground map was reissued in full colour, but with the planned extensions removed. At about the same time, Joseph Labin published an Easy-find Guide for Underground Stations and for Principal Places of Interest that made use of a similar, but different diagram of the Undergbround.

Number 1 1943
343.587.300M

inside…

Although this map has a print code of February 1945, there is no date on the cover, suggesting that London Transport may have hoped to issue it at an earlier date. The street maps on the back are gone, replaced with CONNECTIONS WITH MAIN LINE TERMINI that had last been used in early 1938.

February 1945
245.360G.765M.

inside…


front
Stops
“E” Plates
Stops
Stop Flags
Maps
Maps

Stamps

Advanced Search
Advanced Search
Sources
Sources
Bibliography
Bibliography
Links
Links